The fully online facilitated Supervisory Development Course offers the opportunity to be part of a cohort of fellow supervisors for community learning. This course blends the latest industry research, best practices, and real-life scenarios that connect to your work.
2-3 hours per week
About the Course
The following will be considered when selecting supervisor candidates:
- An on-time, complete application
- Supervisor approval and commitment to support
- Expressed openness to giving and receiving feedback
- Alignment with the course goals and commitment to invest effort in your supervisory development
Course Expectations and Experience
This online course requires approximately 2-3 hours per week. Weekly participation is required. Note, this is a facilitated course, but learning is designed to happen by interacting with other learners and the materials.
Course topics include Feedback and Coaching, Managing and Evaluating Performance, Managing Conflict, Leading Teams, Driving Results, Employee Engagement, Selection and Hiring, and Onboarding New Employees.
Participants who complete the course will earn a certificate and course completion on their University of Minnesota training record.
Learn and Connect
- Independent learning: Activities include topic readings, quizzes, and short presentations
- Community learning: Through online discussions, you will connect with your peers and reflect on how the topics relate to your work
Build Awareness and Measure Progress
- Identify goals and clarify your approach to supervising
- Supervisory skills assessment administered at the beginning of the program and again six months post course to identify strengths and areas for development
Plan the Next Steps
- Reflect on what you have learned and what actions you’re going to take for future impact
- Create a supervisory statement and action plan to grow your skills and become a more effective supervisor