2-4 hours per week
Who should Enroll?
- Those who are new to supervision, or new to supervising at the University of Minnesota
- Current employees who have acquired direct reports and haven’t supervised others before
Registration and Course Dates
2023 Upcoming Courses
January 30 - February 27. Registration closed.
April 3 - May 1. Registration opens March 20.
June 5 - July 5. Registration opens May 22.
August 14 - September 12. Registration opens July 31.
October 23 - November 20. Registration opens October 9.
- Identify strategies to address key challenges new supervisors face
- Describe the University’s expectations for supervisory roles and responsibilities
- Learn about the best practices in giving feedback and performance management
- Gain insight into specifics of the University landscape (key initiatives, policies, employee groups) and how they may affect your role
- Locate support and resources to improve your supervisory skills and become a more effective supervisor
- Build the learning plan that will help you improve your supervisory skills and knowledge beyond the course
Course Resource Samples
The four-week course requires approximately 2-4 hours per week.
Participants who complete the course will earn a certificate and course completion on their University of Minnesota training record.
Learn and Connect
Independent learning: Activities include topic readings and videos and written reflection assignments
Applied learning: Through assignments, you will connect with your manger and others and reflect on how the topics relate to your work
Build Awareness and Measure Progress
Supervisory Readiness Assessment at the beginning of the program helps identify current gaps, and provide focus on how to bridge them.
Plan the Next Steps
Create a Learning Plan that outlines your next steps, including:
• Reflections on what you have learned
• Action(s) you’re going to take and what impact you hope to have