Supervisory Development Course
As a supervisor, you have a vital leadership role at the University of Minnesota in helping employees become more engaged, satisfied, and ultimately more effective in their positions. This fully online Supervisory Development Course blends the latest industry research, best practices, and real-life scenarios that connect to your work.
The course requires approximately 2-3 hours per week. Weekly participation is required. Note, this is a facilitated course, but learning is designed to happen by interacting with other learners and the materials.
Learn and Connect
- Independent learning: Activities include topic readings, quizzes, and short presentations
- Community learning: Through online discussions, you will connect with your peers and reflect on how the topics relate to your work
Build Awareness and Measure Progress
Supervisory skills assessment administered at the beginning of the program and again six months post course to identify strengths and areas for development
Plan the Next Steps
Create a supervisory statement and action plan that outlines your approach to supervising and next steps, including:
- Reflections on what you have learned
- Action(s) you’re going to take and what impact you hope to have
- How you would like to show up as a leader
What's in it for you?
- Research-based supervisory practices; a time to learn and reflect on what works, what doesn’t, and why
- Guided online instruction and feedback from facilitators and peers
- Skills assessment
- Learning from others’ wisdom and experiences
- Leaning on your peers when you need it
- Recognition from your unit or department
Reflection and Action
- A chance to reflect on your own work as a supervisor, reinforce what you already do, and build your skills
Thank you for your interest. The application window for the Spring 2021 cohort is closed now.
Check back mid-August to apply for the Fall 2021 cohort.
The following will be considered when selecting supervisor candidates:
- An on-time, complete application
- Supervisor approval and commitment to support
- Expressed openness to giving and receiving feedback
- Alignment with the course goals and commitment to invest effort in your supervisory development
- Week 1: Course overview
- Week 2: Feedback and Coaching
- Week 3: Performance Management
- Week 4: Managing Conflict
- Week 5: Leading Teams
- Week 6: Driving Results
- Week 7: Employee Engagement
- Week 8: Selection and Hiring
- Week 9: Onboarding
- Week 10: Independent Study
- Week 11: Final presentations
- Learn about best practices in supervision and connect them to your work
- Improve awareness of your strengths and opportunities for development
- Connect with other supervisors and key partners from across the University
- Identify goals and clarify your approach to supervising
- Develop a plan to grow your skills and become a more effective supervisor
You will need a functional webcam and microphone that allow you to easily interact with others.
The course is delivered using Canvas, so you’ll need to have some familiarity with the program to participate in discussions and find resources. If you are new to Canvas, ask any of the facilitators for help.
The course also uses several free online tools for the assignments.